AFAMS is the Air Force lead organization for integrating Live, Virtual and Constructive (LVC) capabilities to support the warfighter in full-spectrum operations.
Lead for Air Force live-virtual-constructive (LVC) integration
- Ensure appropriate representation of air, space and cyberspace in Air Force models and simulations
- Establish the LVC environment for the Air Force
- Integrate and ensure interoperability of Air Force models and simulations
- Establish LVC integrating architecture program of record
Oversight of constructive simulation
- Expand and modernize a constructive environment for the Air Force
- Build the Air, Space and Cyber Constructive Environment (ASCCE)
Coordinate event support
- Coordinate Air Force modeling and simulation support for Service, Joint, Inter-Agency and Coalition events
- Ensure modeling and simulation support to Air Force sanctioned exercises
- Prioritize requirements, resources, simulations, etc.
Develop modeling and simulation workforce
- Establish formal workforce for professional development
- Develop and maintain appropriate modeling and simulation skills and knowledge for Air Force personnel
Increase community awareness of the AFAMS mission
- Outreach and marketing of M&S capabilities
Distributed Mission Operations (DMO)
- DMO connects geographically separated organizations using simulation to meet AF, Joint, Interagency and Coalition training objectives.
Air Operations Center (AOC) Training Support
- AOC Training Support assists the Numbered Air Forces in meeting AOC training requirements through the use of appropriate M&S tools.
- Event Support includes operating and integrating models and simulations in support of planning and execution of AF, Joint, Interagency and Coalition events, exercises and mission rehearsals to train warfighters and battle staffs in the full spectrum of operations.
Live, Virtual, Constructive (LVC) Range Integration
- Range Integration promotes the use of LVC solutions across the AF including the live test and training ranges.
Space Simulation Support
- Space Simulation Support includes incorporating space training capabilities into the fold of existing events and exercises, integrating these capabilities with the Air, Space and Cyber Constructive Environment and developing the Space Federation Object Model.
- Oversight of the Air, Space and Cyberspace Constructive Environment (ASCCE)
- Information Assurance to ensure the Certification and Accreditation of ASCCE components
- M&S advisor to other Air Force agencies and support to training transformation initiatives, cyberspace and multiple level security initiatives
- Evaluates constructive M&S capabilities for training within the AF, identifies and eliminates duplication of constructive capabilities and promotes opportunities to leverage on-going M&S efforts
- Integrates constructive training capabilities into Live, Virtual and Constructive environments to provide more robust training for the warfighter
Live, Virtual & Constructive Integration
- LVC Integrated Enterprise: LVC Integration consists of the standards, policies, procedures and tools that enable the rapid and efficient composition of distributed environments to support warfighter needs.
- Architecture (LVC-IA): The LVC-IA objective is to establish an AF integrated and persistent network of constructive computer simulations, man-in-the-loop virtual simulators and live forces to provide an interoperable environment
- USAF LVC-IA 5 year plan: LVC-IA supports all domains, including training, mission rehearsal, operations, testing, acquisition, experimentation, analysis, education and the Joint community
Force Development and Outreach
- Force Development and Outreach is responsible for developing the M&S air and space workforce through Workforce Development, Awareness and Culturalization and Knowledge Management
- Air/Space/Cyber constructive and virtual simulations provide training to a Combined Air Operations Center (CAOC). The Combined Forces Air Component Commander (CFACC) is responsible for providing combined air power and airspace control for the theater of operations.
- 5th generation fighter capabilities require simulation to fully exploit their capabilities in a robust training environment. Innovative use of M&S will offset 5th generation training deficiencies caused by increased fuel cost, airspace restrictions and the inability to fund sufficient “red threats.”
- Space capabilities are provided to the Combined Task Force at all levels of conflict. The Joint Warfighter depends on simulation of Global Positioning Satellites; Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Satellites; or cyber capabilities delivered by space to train due to limited operational assets.